Call today: 347.625.1038

Home | Practice Areas | Child Custody | Child Custody Modifications

Queens Attorneys Navigate Child Custody Modifications

Does a change in circumstances justify a change in your custody arrangement?

At some point, you or your ex-spouse may conclude that the child custody agreement you made at the time of your divorce is no longer appropriate. If your ex-spouse is seeking a modification, the divorce lawyers at Sager Gellerman Eisner Attorneys at Law defend the current arrangement on your behalf. If you want a modification, for example, from shared custody to full custody, our Queens County attorneys persuade the court that changed circumstances warrant a modification of the child custody arrangement.

How to obtain a child custody modification

The first step in obtaining a custody modification is to ask your attorney to petition the court. Once the paperwork has been filed, the court schedules a hearing at which the lawyers argue the merits of the proposed change. The court makes its decision based on what is in the best interests of your child. Our family law attorneys help you build a compelling case for a child custody modification, whether it involves full custody or a shared custody arrangement.

Common reasons for child custody modifications

Child custody modifications may be justified by changed circumstances in your life or that of your ex-spouse or your child. For example, relocation of the custodial parent often leads to a modification of the custody arrangement. Other reasons courts grant child custody modifications include:

  • You lose your job or take a new job
  • Your ex-spouse loses or begins a job
  • Drug or alcohol abuse by you or your ex-spouse
  • Child abuse by the custodial parent
  • Your child develops special needs
  • A grandparent asserts custodial rights

The knowledgeable Nassau County attorneys at Sager Gellerman Eisner help you achieve your custody goals.

Contact our Nassau County child custody modification lawyers today

Our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to favorably resolve your child custody modification dispute. You can reach us through our online contact form or call us at 347.625.1038 for a consultation. From our offices in Queens and Forest Hills, we serve clients in Nassau and Queens Counties and the New York City boroughs of Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn.