Call today: 347.625.1038

Home | Divorce Laws | Child Support Enforcement

Queens Attorneys Help with Child Support Enforcement

Law firm makes sure you collect the financial support you’re owed

When ex-spouses fail to pay child support, they not only are violating an order of the court, but they also are jeopardizing their children’s welfare. New York law gives custodial parents several tools for compelling an ex-spouse to pay the support your children need and deserve. At Sager Gellerman Eisner Attorneys at Law, our child support enforcement attorneys ensure that your child gets the support that the court ordered.

Options for child support enforcement in New York State

If your ex-spouse refuses to comply with a child support order in the State of New York, the following options are available to you:

  • Enforcement action — You can petition the court to compel compliance with the child support order. The court often will order your ex-spouse to pay not only the arrearages but also interest on the past-due payments. Our attorneys file the enforcement action on your behalf and present your case to the court.
  • Attachment — When parents fail to pay child support, the court can attach their investments, property or bank account. A state agency forwards the money collected from the attachment to the custodial parent to cover overdue child support payments. Other property that can be attached includes real estate and motor vehicles.
  • Garnishment — The court can order your ex-spouse’s employer to make deductions from the ex-spouse’s paycheck to cover the unpaid child support.

Our attorneys help you decide which options for collecting overdue child support you should pursue, and then we petition the court for the appropriate orders.

Call our New York attorneys for help with collecting the support you’re due

At Sager Gellerman Eisner Attorneys at Law, our experienced attorneys ensure that your child gets the support that the court ordered. You can reach us through our online contact form or call us at 347.625.1038 for a consultation. From our offices in Queens and Forest Hills, we serve clients in Nassau and Queens Counties and the New York City boroughs of Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn.